Fred LaLone and Margarite Vega


Be sure and scroll down to the sections below, interesting. ed.


Fredrico Narcissus Lalone was born October 29, 1878 on his father’s ranch in Nogal, Lincoln County, NM. They later moved to White Oaks.


Fed married Margarite Vega November 23,1903, on the Vega ranch in Nogal. It was a three day affair; Margarite wore a new dress every day. Their padrinos were Feliz Guebara and Carmela Torres.        


Margarite Louise Vega was born June 21, 1884 on her father’s ranch in Nogal. She was the daughter of José María Vega and Esiquia Torres. Read the documents below for details of her life.


Fred and Margarite brought their family to California in 1924; Fred worked in a nursery. After a lengthy illness Margarite died April 1, 1936. Fred lived to a ripe old age, a respected citizen of Sierra Madre. He died December 31,1958.



The children of Margarite and Fred:


Josephine LaLone   b. October 29, 1905

                             d. July 12, 1974

                             m. Seth VanWickle, May 25, 1930


Albert LaLone         b. November 11, 1906

                             d. November 17, 1934

                             m. Eva, May 5, 1934


Julian LaLone         b. February 16, 1907

                             d. April 8, 1989

                             m. First spouse: Dorothy


Fred LaLone, Jr.     b. August 29, 1908


                             m. Ellen, February 19, 1938


Abelina LaLone       b. December 16, 1909

                             d. December 27, 1909


John LaLone          b. October 21, 1910

                             d. October 21, 1910


Margarite LaLone   b. January 21, 1912

                             d. September 17, 1961

                             m. Alfred Domschke, March 9, 1932


Robert LaLone       b. August 22, 1913

                             d. November 15, 2004

                             m. Evelyn “Joyce” Fowler, April 8, 1938


Edward LaLone      b. May 11, 1915

                             d. August 18, 1994

                             m. Georgene Norris


Alice LaLone           b. March 30, 1917
                             m. Neil McCarron, September 26, 1939


Gilbert LaLone        b. April 18, 1919
                             d. June 10, 1922

Frances LaLone      b. March 19, 1921

                             m. Chud Finley, September 20, 1942


Richard LaLone      b. June 18, 1923


Earl LaLone            b. May 5, 1925
                             m. Margaret, November 10, 1950


Frank LaLone         b. June 16, 1927
                             d. June 16, 1927


The LaLone move to California- See the LaLone Trip Diary 1924


The LaLone’s & Search and Rescue- See Sierra Madre Search and Rescue



LaLone Documents:


The following documents were offered by Frances LaLone Finley, Ed.


A.       Fred Narcissus La Lone

b.    October 29, 1878, Nogal, New Mexico

           m.  November 23, 1903, Carrizozo, New Mexico, to Margarite Vega

d.    December l, 1958 at the age of 80 In Sierra Madre, California


B.       Margarite  Louise Vega

b.     June 21, 1884

d.    April 1, 1936 at the age of 52 in Sierra Madre, California


Children:           Josephine, Albert, Julian, Fred, Abelina, John, Margarite, Robert, Edward, Alice, Gilbert, Frances, Richard, Earl, Frank


A.       Fred was the third of six children born to Tioflio and Estanislada La Lone. When he was born his father was a cattle rancher in Nogal, New Mexico. Fred went through the sixth grade in Nogal.


His first job was working in the hay fields with his father when he was a little boy, He later did odd jobs.


Fred used to see Margarite, who was six years his junior, peaking through the fence and he’d always say , “That’s, the girl I’ll marry”. When still a young girl Margarite was sent to a convent in El Paso, Texas, to become a nun. When her sister died she was called home and did not return to El Paso. Saddened by the death of their daughter, Margarite’s parents decided to go to Mexico. It broke Fred’s heart. He kept hoping they’d come back, U. was getting ready to go to Mexico and get her when they returned. Margarite’s father had leased his ranch and there was some trouble so he came back to check on it. They never returned to Mexico. A year later Margarite and Fred were married. They had a big wedding at Tioflio’s ranch. They had a three day and three night party. Margarite

wore two beautiful dresses. Her wedding dress was a cream color with a high neck.


After the marriage, Fred and Margarite moved to White Oaks where Fred worked in the gold mines. Jo, Albert and maybe Julian were  born there, They stayed 2-3 years, Tioflio needed help at the ranch so Fred moved in with him. This ranch was seven miles out of Carrizozo. Then Tioflio and Estanislada moved to town so Fred. took over the ranch and his brother, Louie, was supposed to run it too. Louie had a house built on the ranch but he finally gave it up and sold his part to Fred. Fred raised cattle and worked in town in the winter. There is one incident that happened while living in town: When living in Carrizozo Papa used to drop by the bar and play poker or pool. He got to doing this quite often. Mama got made at him and told him never to do it again. He did stop but only

for a while, then it started again. One night Papa stayed out quite late so Mama told Jo to look after the kids and took Albert with her to the bar. Mama just opened the bar room door and said, “Hello Fred”. As further punishment Mama refused to talk to him for a week, After that be never went to the saloon again. Anyway, in 1912 Fred worked for the railroad, clerking and working in the freight yard. Then back to the ranch in the summer he went. In the winter time when it started snowing the family would move into town so the children could go to school. Fred worked at a Ford garage as a mechanic, also as a Deputy Sheriff for 2-3 years. They wanted him to run for Sheriff but his wife wouldn’t let him. Then he worked for a trading company or general store for Mr. Lutz, a great big German with a mustache. Fred worked winters for him for a few years.Also during the winters he was a taxi driver; he took people around in his model T Ford; up to 100 miles away. Then Fred sold the ranch, put a down payment on a house and started his own general store. He opened his store across the street from Lutz, it was a cash and carry store. He worked this store until 1924. In 1924. the bank closed and the banker left town with the money. Fred had sold too much merchandise on credit. When the bank closed the people told him they couldn’t pay. Fred was in debt to the wholesalers so he returned his goods and quit. He sold the house, making very little. Then he decided to move to California. His sister, Carrie, lived in Sierra Madre and Louie was in the area. In Sierra Madre he first worked in an Ice House for several years and then did odd jobs like moving people with his truck. Then be worked at the Palm Nursery until he retired at 70 because of his health; a heart condition.


Fred died of a heart attack on New Years Eve,1958. Margarite, his daughter, always called him at 4 o’clock. This particular evening she got no answer. She then called Jo, his eldest daughter, and told Jo she couldn’t get an answer from Papa. Jo called Papa’s landlady and asked her to check. When she returned to the phone she said Papa was on the bed and she couldn’t get a heart beat. Jo called Dr. Norman Johnson and told him to meet her there. Dr. Johnson was there when Jo arrived and told her that he was dead and had been that way for at least half an hour. Jo was almost in a state of shock to think that Papa had suffered alone. Dr. Johnson, knowing this, said I want to show you something Jo. The bed is not ruffled, even the oxygen tank, that papa kept for emergencies, is unused. There was no strugg1e for life, he didn’t suffer one second. Papa had taken a bath, shaved, his suit and tie were on, hair combed and he was all ready for the party to be given at Julian’s that night. But that’s just the way he wanted to died, alone and with his shoes on.


The funeral was at Riples, Rev. Lindsay officiated and he was buried next to Margarite in the Sierra Madre Cemetery.



b.        Margarite Louise Vega was born in the Nogal vicinity and reared in Lincoln County. Margarite was eight years old when her father remarried, he married a girl of 15. The step-mother, Josefa, was very mean to Margarite and treated her like a maid. Margarite’s father, Joseph, loved her very much and would beat his wife when he found her mistreating Margarite. But then Margarite became afraid to complain because she didn’t want Josefa to be beaten. When Margarite would get a pretty doll Josefa would put it on a top shelf and refuse to let her play with it or any of her dolls. Once Joe ordered a piano for Margarite but when it came Josefa refused to let it in the house saying she would just lock it up. So Maragarite told her father she didn’t want it. Yet when Josefa’s own daughter, Bertha, was a young girl she bought her an organ. Josefa was much kinder to her own children. But when Josefa thought she was dying she sent for Margarite and asked her forgiveness. Margarite said there was nothing to forgive, but Josefa insisted so Margarite did. She asked forgiveness again when Margarite was fatally ill. Josefa believed the misfortunes she suffered with the deaths of four of her children was God’s punishment for her mistreating Margarite.


Anyway, as a. young girl Margarite was sent to a convent in El Paso, Texas, to become a nun, but was called home when her sister Bertha, died of pneumonia. Her parents then took her to Mexico where she attended another convent. When they returned to Now Mexico she married Fred La Lone.


Margarite died in l936 at the age of 52 after a long illness. The final cause of death was kidney failure. She was buried in the Sierra Madre Cemetery.





This document also came from Frances LaLone Finley. These are her Grandparents or Fred LaLone’s parents. I have left it intact with some minor typing changes. Ed.



I.           Tioflio LaLone

             b. June 3, 1837, 0gdensburg, New York

m. 1868, Roswell, New Mexico, to Estanislda Padilla

d. January 3, 1908, Carrizozo, New Mexico, at the age of 73.


II.                   Estanislada Padilla

b. ?

m. 1867 to Patrick Ryan who died in 1867

m. 1868 to Tioflio LaLone

d. ?

Children:              1. Fanny b.? m. Doc Lacy;

                           2. Louis b. Sept. 11,? , m. Alvera;

3. Fred b. Oct. 29, 1876, m. Margarite, d. Dec. 31, 1958;

4. Carrie b. Nov. 8, ?, m. .Juliano Leal;

5. Addie b. ?, m, Jose Sanchez

                                        6. Rebecca b. ?, m. D, H. Tinnon


I.           Tiofljo worked as a pilot, mate, then captain of steamboats on the St. Lawrence River around 1852. He left Kingston, Canada, in 1858 and came west, he had been in New Mexico since 1862.


Estanislada was married to an Irishman, Pat Ryan. They were married about 3 months when he accidentally shot himself while getting into a wagon. About a year later she married Tioflio having met him after the death of her first husband.



They 1ived in MacGow, New Mexico. Fanny was born there. A short time later they moved to Manzano[Nogal, ed], New Mexico. At each town Tioflio would buy cattle and cut hay for other people. He tried to raise his own hay in Manzano [Nogal] and failed. He drank too much and lost everything he had. When be was drunk some men would talk him into selling things cheap and he wasn’t making any money at the time. Sometimes his family would go without food. Fred was born at Noga1, the next town they moved to. Here Tioflio had a cattle ranch. The children went to school here and at school Fred met Margarite. The rest of the children where born in Nogal, two died in infancy and their names are not recorded.


Tioflio died on January 3, 1908 on his ranch near Carrizozo. The funeral took place at the Baptist Church.


II.          Estanislada’s parents were Spanish and Mexican. Her mother died after having three children. Her father remarried and there were three or four children by that marriage. Her father then died and Estanislada’s step-mother remarried. Then Estanislada and her two full siblings were given to an Uncle to raise. One of the siblings was a girl named Casimira.


Unanswered questions regarding Tioflio:

1.       Parents names, birth dates, birthplaces, death dates.

2.       Did he have any brothers or sisters?

3.       Whit kind of education did he have?

4.       What did he die of?

5.       What was his personality like?


Unanswered questions regarding Estanislada:

1.       Parents names, birth dates, birthplaces, death dates?

2.              Her date of birth, place, death date and cause?

3.              Her brothers and sisters names?

4.              What was the name of the Uncle who raised her?

5.       What kind of education did she have?

6.       Did she ever hold a job? What kind?

7.       Where did she meet Tioflio?



III.                 Joseph Vega

             b. ?

             m. 1883 to Euphema Torres

             m. 1892 to Josefa Sandoval


IV.                Euphoma Torres Vega

b. ?

m.1883 to Joseph Vega

d. 1889

Children: Margarite b. June 21, 1884, m. Nov, 23, 1903, d. April 1, 1936.

                Antonio b.?, m. ?, d.?;

                Florentio b.?, in. ?, d.?

V.         Josefa Sandoval Vega


              m. 1892 to Joseph Vega


              Children: Bertha; Antonia; Joseph; Susie; Leandro; Bertha II; Martin; Nick; Frank


III.                     I have no information about Joseph Vega.


IV.          Euphema Torres Vega died while pregnant with her fourth child. She had made a big batch of hot cocoa for a party they gave. After the party she drank the little cocoa remaining in the pot. The metal in the pot had turned it bad. She died the next morning.


IV.                Josefa Sandoval Vega-was forced into a marrige she did not want. Joseph Vega was an established widower with three children. Josefa’s parents thought he was a good match. She was married at the age of 15. Misfortune plagued her children. Her first child, Bertha, died of pneumonia at the age of 16. Antonia died at 16 from falling of a horse. Joseph became an alcoholic and died in his early 40’s. Susie died between 45 and 50 of a heart attack. Each of these children died before Josefa. Nick was the other child to die in his prime at the age of 45 in a car accident.





This letter is also offered by Frances. It was written on the occasion of Margarite LaLone’s death, by her step mother. It is interesting to note the tenor of the letter, it is written as if Fred lived in the next town not in California (a considerable distance in 1936). Ed.



April 5, 1936


My estimable godfather (compadre) this is in answer to the sad telegram I received. It was a great hurt to me and my family. Well, Godfather I hope in the Lord that you and all the family will be consoled.


You know the poor health Margarita was in, the Lord have her in his kingdom of Heaven. It is the path we must all walk when the Lord summons us.


I hope you can find consolation in what the Lord does. Poor Margarita it was much what she suffered with her long illness. Until my Lord remembered her, you can consider how sad she was without hope of alleviation.


Godfather we would have accompanied you gladly but did not receive the telegram till 5:00 that same evening. I sent Nick to tell Florencio but he returned and said Florencio did not want to believe him, but that he wanted to say it was April Fools. I sent him again to see if he wanted to go, we would take him, but he did not want to go. It is an ungrateful brother that seems to ________ _______ his sister. He said that in the end he also had to die. Nickolas, Liandra and I were to go but Leandro’s wife was ill and became very ill and Leandro could not go. Nick and I were afraid to go alone for we did not know the route and it became late. I hope the Lord has her in the Kingdom of Heaven. My consolation that remains is that the Lord gave me life to see my daughter when I was there. I hope you and the entire family which lost the finest treasure of the world, will be consoled. For us it was a grief to lose such a good daughter and sister.


I hope that if the Lord will give us life and health, we will see each other this summer. We are going to try, Nick, Leandro and I, to at least console ourselves by seeing the sepulcher of my daughter.


With nothing else console yourself godfather and your family with what the Lord does.


Your comadre wishes you happiness.



                                                                                Josefa Vega ~